Friday, April 6, 2012

What scares me.

In my own little world there are many things that scare me.  Right now, the biggest fear is thinking that my books will go nowhere. 

I sit and create and create and create and honestly, I do it for myself.  I guess that's what a writer should do if they really love their craft.  But, once that book is out to the masses, a new fear takes over.  I wonder who reads my book.  I wonder what they're thinking about it.

I've finished the second book in the SOTF series and have started working on the third.  I think it's very good, but what will others think?  That's what really scares me.  I guess it scares me because I want to create a reading experience that people will and enjoy.  I want them to finish the last page and feel an overwhelming need to tell others.

Does anyone else think like me?

4 comments:

  1. Every time I hit that publish button the fear kicks in. Am I good enough? Well everyone like it? How long until that one person reads it and thinks it's crap? Then I remember that I write because I love it and nothing will ever change that. It's in our blood and spirit. Great post Mike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wenona, you are spot on - it is in our blood. Maybe in a previous life we were bards. :)

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way, Mike. I think that fear is in the heart of every writer, maybe in every artist. Sometimes, it's hard to stay positive in this business. I wrote one book strictly for me, never expecting it to be published, and it was contracted by Double Dragon Publishing. Still, like you, I wonder who will read it and hope that I can immerse that reader in a world that I created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the way I feel.

    ReplyDelete